For over the past year, Boulder City staff has been working on a new permitting system. Long gone are the days of submitting paper applications or emailing in scanned copies of applications and plans. Now everything can be done through a portal! This new system allows for better communication between city staff and the applicant. If you have not registered, then do it today!

When registering, please use the email linked to your business license account with the city.

You can access the portal using the link below.

Permitting Portal

Permitting Portal Training

Public Works will be providing permitting portal training for all contractors and residents at City Hall in the Council Chambers on the dates listed below.

February 13th - 2:00 - 3:30 PM

February 20th - 2:00 - 3:30 PM

February 27th - 2:00 - 3:30 PM

March 5th - 2:00 - 3:30 PM

Boulder City NV Public Works Department

Our mission is to provide oversight of all work done in the public right-of-way. We serve as an information resource for citizens, businesses and community groups regarding permit work and review.

Right-of-Way (ROW) Permits

Homeowners should be aware that any work done on city property or in the public right-of-way, including driveways, sidewalks and sewer lateral repairs and replacements, requires a licensed contractor to pull a permit from the Engineering Division. City property sometimes extends further into front yards than you may be aware. If you need to know where your property line begins in your front yard please visit our Property Lines page for more information.

Encroachment License

Construction of walls and fences on city property or public right-of-way will require the owner to purchase an Encroachment License as well as any permits required by the Building Division. An application to build walls, fences, etc. should begin in the Building Division. They can be reached by calling 702-293-9282.

Business owners should be aware that an Encroachment License is required if any part of their building is on city property. The license is also necessary if the business owner is interested in using the city sidewalk for tables, chairs or merchandise racks, etc.

Obstruction Permits

Obstruction Permits are required for any temporary storage on city streets or right-of-way. This includes construction dumpsters, pod type storage boxes, landscape materials such as decorative rock, construction materials, etc. The city discourages storage on public property but permission may be granted on a case by case basis and duration is limited. An Obstruction Permit is available in the Engineering Division. Call 702-293-9200 for more information.

Construction Work in Publicly Owned Areas

Permits are required for all work performed in the public right-of-way. Each dedicated street in the City of Boulder City has a public right-of-way. The right-of-way includes the pavement, curbing and sidewalks; the area between the sidewalk and the curb; and, in most residential areas, a small strip of land extending from the sidewalk toward the residential property. Work that requires a permit includes street excavation/trenching, driveway construction, encroachments, street obstructions, new water services and renewals, water abandonment's, and barricades. Some projects may require the attendance of the City's Project Review Meeting. If you are not sure if you need to attend, please call 702-293-9200 to find out.

Guidelines for specific projects in the public right-of-way:

  • Driveway apron (in public right-of-way)
  • Electric service
  • Encroachment onto public property
  • Obstruction (in public right-of-way)
  • Sewer lateral
  • Sidewalk (in public right-of-way)
  • Traffic control plan
  • Water lateral