I need to complain! Who will listen?

Depending upon the type of complaint, you may need to submit a complaint form to Code Enforcement, the Police Department, the Public Works Department or the Southern Nevada Health District. The following is a list of common complaints and the department/agency that handles them, along with their contact information:
Police Department (702-293-9224)
- Parking violations on public streets and alleys
- Noise complaints
- Business being conducted without a business license (transient businesses)

Public Works Department (702-293-9200)
- Waste of water

Code Enforcement (702-589-9603)
- Public nuisances on private properties (green pools, weeds, dead vegetation, junk, etc.)
- Business being conducted without a business license (fixed locations)
- Illegal signs
- RVs occupied in a residential zone

Show All Answers

1. I need to complain! Who will listen?
2. What happens when I report a potential violation?
3. I received a violation notice. Who turned me in? Why are you picking on me?
4. Why am I responsible for a violation that existed before I bought the property?
5. There is a property in my neighborhood that has been vacant for some time. Can anything be done about it?
6. My neighbor's trees drop leaves and needles into my yard. Can anything be done about this?
7. What do I do if I see a green pool?
8. May I drain my swimming pool into the street?
9. May I park or store a vehicle in the street?
10. What is considered a junk vehicle?
11. May I keep a vehicle that is inoperable?
12. May I repair my vehicle at my house?
13. May I store a recreational vehicle or trailer on my property?
14. May I park a vehicle in the front or side yard of my property?
15. May I post temporary signs on utility poles and/or other devices in public rights-of-way?
16. May a business be conducted from a residence?
17. How many garage / yard sales may I have each year? Is a permit required?
18. May I advertise my garage sale?
19. Where can I store my trash can and recycle bins?